About Dr. Akwete Roman
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist
As a clinician, I use Nagy’s contextual approach to therapy that is based on the belief that a person’s fair consideration of his or her relational obligation can result in personal freedom to participate in life’s activities, satisfaction, and enjoyment. I encourage my clients to engage in a dialogue that consists of empathy, acknowledgement, and expectation. I push them to “dig deeper” in order to learn, and connect more to, who they are.
I use an integrative, solution-focused, strength-based, culturally sensitive approach to work with couples and families. My work is solution focused, compassion focused, culturally sensitive, and strength based. I assist my clients in building relational maturity and integrity by shifting their attitudes and intentions, by establishing resources for hope and will, and developing an awareness of entitlement and obligation. I support them in practicing self-compassion and self-love, building connections with thoughts, emotions and mindfulness. Together we discover the magic of living their best life by becoming their own best friend, by being authentically who they are and comfortable in their own skin.
- Care Advocate, Optum Health
- Assistant Program Director of Behavioral Health, Primary Health Services Center
- Counselor, Wellspring Big Brothers and Sisters
- Mental Health Professional, Institute for Neuropsychiatry
- Adjunct Lecturer, Syracuse University
- Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy, Syracuse University
- M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, University of Louisiana at Monroe
- B.S. in Psychology, McNeese State University
I Work With Individuals & Couples
One-on-one, individualized treatment with an experienced therapist.
Repairing injury, strengthening intimacy, and improving communication between partners.
9 Bowdoin Mill Island Topsham, ME 04086
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm appointment