About Dr. Andrea Medaris
My core belief as a therapist is that relationships are the primary agent of human change and growth. The therapeutic relationship is central to the success of any type of therapy. I work primarily with couples and relationship groups because I have seen the strength of these bonds promote incredible change, both in terms of relational happiness and in terms of personal psychological healing and development.
My treatment approach is primarily humanistic. I work with couples slowly increase their ability to empathize with each other, send clear emotional signals, and understand the protective strategies that underlie the cycles of conflict that create distress in relationships. I have advanced training in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), the gold standard of relationship therapy. I specialize in cases where one or more members of a relationship have survived trauma. My training in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) and relational therapy for complex trauma also inform my clinical practice.
- Member of the Traumatic Stress Research Consortium and the APA Division 56 Anti-Racism Task Force
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Psychology Specialists of Maine
- Predoctoral Internship, Rhode Island School of Design Counseling and Psychological Services
- Advanced Training in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology from William James College
- B.A. in Psychology from Mount Holyoke College
I Work With Couples & Relationship Groups
Repairing injury, strengthening intimacy, and improving communication between partners.
9 Bowdoin Mill Island Topsham, ME 04086
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm appointment